The future of Forgotten Elements

General Discussion about the Game

The future of Forgotten Elements

Postby teall » 15. Jan 2011, 02:44

FE runs fairly smoothly right now and for a beta game it's pretty solid. There are obviously some minor issues being worked on and a small community thus far. The loading times have been improved and the game runs fairly smooth and lag free. The achievment addition was a nice touch and I wish FE a lasting profitable future.

I do enjoy the pure hack n slash quality, but I am wondering what direction it will take in the near future. As many other games have done in their infancy stages almost everything is killable within seconds. The skills like fear, stun, sleep, petrify, root are not really essential unless for pvp. CC (Crowd control) isn't really a factor in the game yet.

It's a difficult task to accomplish true CC in the game and many just skip it altogether. Torchlight and Diablo so far never really focused on this issue.

I just wonder what if anything is planned for FE.
teall

Re: The future of Forgotten Elements

Postby SeyzTLS » 15. Jan 2011, 06:18

i think the mainaspect is to add the next areas...
there miss a big part of the iceworld, and the "map" look like that there are planed 2 other worlds...

than i think that the partysystem will be built more out (can you say that so? o.o)
atm there is only gallurus that you can beat better in a small party than alone. (except your name is cetra xD)
partyskills are rare too...healer doesnt exist and are not required...
a "real" tank isnt required, too....atm you can use minionmasters or lifeleech-ramps...
SeyzTLS

Postby Monk » 15. Jan 2011, 14:35

Hey guys ;) imho almost all of the problems are a result of the fact seyz allready called, the game isnt complete yet. For luzark and the shards we are much much to overpowerd yet, of course we cann kill a whole crowd in a sec. If the enemys get more (they seem to become more crowded through the first stages allready, so i think they will do in further stages) and get more hp, in case that their level grows over 22/23 you need some CC. I would give the game more time, if its complete in all stages and bosses and enemys we can start talking about this things and balance them out.

lG Watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_xfO63lE4
If you enter the arena, always remember i could be there
Monk

Postby IsodorRodosi » 15. Jan 2011, 20:12

SeyzTLS wrote:i think the mainaspect is to add the next areas...
there miss a big part of the iceworld, and the "map" look like that there are planed 2 other worlds...

than i think that the partysystem will be built more out (can you say that so? o.o)
atm there is only gallurus that you can beat better in a small party than alone. (except your name is cetra xD)
partyskills are rare too...healer doesnt exist and are not required...
a "real" tank isnt required, too....atm you can use minionmasters or lifeleech-ramps...

Its not WoW. Why u must an Tank/Healer be essencial in an Hack n'Slay game? In WoW, there is no real individual in the characters...u can choose mutch classes, skills so far, but in real, u only can choose betwen be a healer, a tank, or a damagedealer. In an the hack n slay genre, the most part is to kill mutch monster fast and/or spectacular in mutch different ways. The Partyplay is only a small part of this. Party is only an option, not the main part.
I think, FE is more like diablo 2, than WoW. In Diablo 2 u can play alone to reach all thinks u whant, or you can play in party to reach all thinks u whant, but together. WoW on the other side is extreme focused in partyplay, so u cant do only some fun quests alone. In WoW there is onyl one taktic to win the battle: the tank pull the monster, teh healer heals the tank, the damagedealers kill the monsters. In Diablo 2, nearly all charbuilds are made to play solo, and optional play in party with different tactics to kill the mosnters.
Iam agree with you, the actual party system is only rudimentär (dont know the english word), but i dont think, we need "party only" performed content.

I Hope, the future of FE will be an buyable fair for all Hack N Slay - secret tipp for 10-20€ with longlife "play again"- feature like diablo2^^
IsodorRodosi

Postby Gades » 15. Jan 2011, 23:06

I don't think crowd control should be a requirement just to deal with the enemies. If it helps to make your life easier it should be an option, but focusing the entire game about keeping the enemy from hitting you isn't the right way I think. It may become more important as the game progresses. Right now enemies don't deal enough damage to be considered a treat and potions are more than sufficient to keep up with the incoming damage. Also they still lack powerful skills, the only enemies I had some trouble with when engaging them were groups of bears with their crush and scarvas with roar, and only if I got careless enough to actually get close to them. But imagine suddenly half of the enemies got those traits, you will be on the run the whole time. Reminds me of those Shoot 'em Ups from the 90's. Instead of aiming at the enemies you were constantly dodging their 1HKO-bullets. That's something you sure don't want to do in FE all the time. I think it's fine right now, still there could be a little more challenge and constancy in develepment, aswell as allowing some contribution of the community when it comes to solving issues like balancing or introducing new things.
Gades

Postby SeyzTLS » 17. Jan 2011, 03:41

IsodorRodosi wrote:Its not WoW. Why u must an Tank/Healer be essencial in an Hack n'Slay game? In WoW, there is no real individual in the characters...u can choose mutch classes, skills so far, but in real, u only can choose betwen be a healer, a tank, or a damagedealer. In an the hack n slay genre, the most part is to kill mutch monster fast and/or spectacular in mutch different ways. The Partyplay is only a small part of this. Party is only an option, not the main part.
I think, FE is more like diablo 2, than WoW. In Diablo 2 u can play alone to reach all thinks u whant, or you can play in party to reach all thinks u whant, but together. WoW on the other side is extreme focused in partyplay, so u cant do only some fun quests alone. In WoW there is onyl one taktic to win the battle: the tank pull the monster, teh healer heals the tank, the damagedealers kill the monsters. In Diablo 2, nearly all charbuilds are made to play solo, and optional play in party with different tactics to kill the mosnters.
Iam agree with you, the actual party system is only rudimentär (dont know the english word), but i dont think, we need "party only" performed content.

I Hope, the future of FE will be an buyable fair for all Hack N Slay - secret tipp for 10-20€ with longlife "play again"- feature like diablo2^^

I agree with you =)
in all parts^^

i dont want to have FE like WoW...i played wow some times, but i dont liked it very much.
(im rather a guildwars-fan. i know that gw is totaly a party-game...without a party you will die in 5secs.)
but FE its another game and i like it to beat some monsters alone without having the fear to die in the next second from an onehit xD.

my idea was to make some (or one) (instance-)bosses that are so strong that you can only defeat them in a party.
no with real healer-classes and so on. (only the possibility to heal others would be nice. maybe with cure...i think its the only real healskill in the game.=) ) something like a bonus. not really nessesary for a quest or something like this.
only for "fun" :mrgreen: (like gallurus^^ only harder)
SeyzTLS

Postby Cetra » 17. Jan 2011, 06:21

SeyzTLS wrote:atm there is only gallurus that you can beat better in a small party than alone. (except your name is cetra xD)

LOL! I'm glad that I deserved an honorable mention for having a purpose in FE even though I have now sunk to the #2 slot hehe. You and your blasted THORNS!! :D :evil: ;)

I agree with many things said previously. Many things have been optimized for a level 30-ish setting in the game such as items and skills. Monsters however have not. Players that have played relentlessly and focused well on their builds have nothing to fear from monsters at this point in the game. All of the proper skills and items (when used in combination) provide for a character's survival and success. Yes, once monsters have had the time to catch up and develop more skills and abilities, they will be much more difficult to contend with. But hey, we all love a good challenge don't we? Also hordes of mobs is a good thing, regardless of what their abilities include. Since FE was compared to Diablo 2, this possibility should not be ignored. For those who are familiar with D2, there are ALWAYS hordes of mobs EVERYWHERE lurking to constantly kill you lol. True some of the abilities like stun can be tough when the character is overwhelmed, but that's why this is hack and slash!! :D AoE or CC characters are optimized for damage and rely on kiting mobs while killing in masses quickly... of course their major downfall is lack of durability. Tankers like myself kill much more slowly, but have much more increased chance of survival. I think all in all this is good game balance. Also, having many mobs = far more item drops just like in D2.

In my own opinion, the bottom line is that FE is still very young and yes, only half the map has been discovered yet BUT!!!.... There is still much more new content yet to come and hasn't Marlon always taken care of us and provided us players with such great content in the past? :D I have 100% faith in our fearless leader of game development. To Marlon as well as the great community of hard working testers here in the world of FE, keep up the great work! ;)
Cetra

Return to "General"