The Future of Forgotten Elements

General Discussion about the Game

The Future of Forgotten Elements

Postby Marlon » 18. Nov 2011, 12:42

Hello Forgotten Elements Community!

Many of you may have wondered, why I was so busy the recent weeks.
And many of you probably know, that I am the only one working on this game and developed it from scratch in plain old JAVA without using
foreign game engines, frameworks, etc.
This may sound like a cool thing but it also has some drawbacks.

So this game doesn't get the consumer acceptance it has deserved, because many people think that the graphics are outdated and dull.
There are probably some of you out there who would think like me: "Hey this is a cool game, reminds me of older games I have played and loved!"
And I feel kind of nostalgia when I play interesting 2D games, too.

But the truth is that most of the players leave this game, even before completing the first quest or smashing the first monster.
The few among you who would give it a chance sometimes experience, that the game crashes or it runs slow at some stages.
And here is the problem:
Developing an own smooth running graphic engine is a bunch of work and I think it would go beyond the scope for one person, who actually doesn't get payed for that.

So I decided to work over the whole graphical part of Forgotten Elements and use the handy and programmer friendly 3D Engine JPCT (http://www.jpct.net)!
So if all runs fine Forgotten Elements will transform into a Isometric 3D Hack N Slay! :shock:
But don't be afraid! You will keep your characters, your items, your experience, all you have gained in the world of Forgotten Elements!
There just have to be a change, and I think most of you will agree to this.
And for those who want to keep playing the 2D version, there will still be an opportunity to do that!

I have just finished developing a small test program, which shows how the game might look in 2012. Just click on the link and execute the program:
http://www.forgottenelements.com/rpgexa ... ample.jnlp

Now there comes the interesting part for YOU!
Because transforming Forgotten Elements into a 3D game means a lot of work I need your help. Just after finishing the programming, I need tons of models and textures to integrate them in the game. Because I already made all "Ingame-objects" in Blender3D, I just have to decimate those polygons and save it in another format (md2 and 3ds).
So the part for creating models is not the hard/time consuming one.
But I need textures for monsters, obstacles, items and so on. And working with a brush tool in GIMP/Photoshop is not my main area of work.

So you have the chance to participate in Forgotten Elements and its future.
If you are interested, send me an email or answer this thread, if you need help in creating textures let me know.
I can give you tipps, tutorials and explain basic steps.
All I expect from you is that you are familar with creating 2D graphics, that you are creative and that you already worked with GIMP, Photoshop or a similar program.
I think its self-evident that I can't pay you for this, but you have the chance to participate in a growing big project!

Together we can make a unique and popular game out of Forgotten Elements! :D
Thanks for your loyalty!
Marlon
http://www.forgottenelements.com
- 100% Free Online Action RPG -
Marlon
Forum Admin

Re: The Future of Forgotten Elements

Postby Blastboy » 18. Nov 2011, 13:03

Personally I don't weigh the graphichs in a game very high. I look at the gameplay, and if that is good, I would almost be content with just colored blocks moving around on the screen.

I really like playing this game, as it offers many things I have not found in other games, and I actually think that the graphichs, as it is now, is very good. I have stopped playing other games with far superior graphics, because they were essentially poor games, and in my world nice graphichs don't make up for that.
Blastboy

Postby BLooDFReeZiNG » 18. Nov 2011, 13:39

Hello Marlon, Im planning to a video for recruting free developers but its not sure i will find some but i will try thanks you for all your work. i hope this plan could make play newplayers as like u said it will be really great but the old FE 2D look better but if you have right ur game will become famous i wish your deal will work because the work needed is terrible. I hope my video could help youa bit

Thanks you Marlon
BLooDFReeZiNG

Postby Monk » 18. Nov 2011, 14:34

of course i cant start the link to see how the graphic would look :x

This is a great thing! as you allready said, much players leave just instant due to the graphic (also for me this behave is simply stupid :D ) but a result of this is that if this game wants to have some succes, it needs a better graphic. Also the opportunity that some problems with performance could get fixed it another tremendous step foward.

I also would like to do at least some minor graphics to insign the game with my work :D
I allready know what gimp is and have it even installed, but i did not much allready with it, but if you introduce me how to create something usefull, i think ii cold do some things from time to time.

lG Watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_xfO63lE4
If you enter the arena, always remember i could be there
Monk

Postby Marlon » 18. Nov 2011, 14:43

Monk wrote:of course i cant start the link to see how the graphic would look :x

This is a great thing! as you allready said, much players leave just instant due to the graphic (also for me this behave is simply stupid :D ) but a result of this is that if this game wants to have some succes, it needs a better graphic. Also the opportunity that some problems with performance could get fixed it another tremendous step foward.

I also would like to do at least some minor graphics to insign the game with my work :D
I allready know what gimp is and have it even installed, but i did not much allready with it, but if you introduce me how to create something usefull, i think ii cold do some things from time to time.

lG Watching

Oh, why can't you test the demo? Please post the error message here.
I am going to make a tutorial thread, where it is explained how to make textures.
Marlon
Forum Admin

Postby BLooDFReeZiNG » 18. Nov 2011, 14:59

Good afternoon Marlon,

Today will share you my problem.. i have 2 months of hollidays and i have planning to play Forgotten Elements. Could it possible you work in a first time on items, maps, etc.. then start the 3D.

You know the way 3D will take something like 5-6 months and maybe more.. and it will be very hard for me to wait as long. Could you make me this favor for all work i did on your game for trying to help you. I know you want your game become famous and i allready did all i can for you and your game but seriously dont let me feel forgotten. Im just asking you 2 months the time of my hollidays for i could continu to working on thread, and my characters.

I know you want the best for the game and for players. At My opinion the graphism are better on 2D as diablo 2 and will not change the pleasure to play to your game but yes players couldnt tell you they have stoped because they guess the graphism are bad because your graphism are correct.

I would like to ask you some little thing for this 2 months.. Here is how stat points will be allocated (Highest priority from left to right):

Mod of difficulty ; Lapis System ; stronger aggresivity , a Better Talisman System ; autoloot ; New Event - Endless Invincibilty.

If you just work on 1 or 2 of these sugestions you will make me happy. I believe in your work but 2D to 3D will be your longest work.. and i will feel very alone for this period i hope you could undestand me and try to do your best for i will not. i know you should think i ask you too much but i always was here for you i hope you could be there for me in return.. because we are friends and this is a friendship demonstration i ask you

Greeting From France,
BLooDBuRNiNG
BLooDFReeZiNG

Postby Monk » 18. Nov 2011, 15:46

first the information for my error, i did a screenshot

Monk

Postby Monk » 18. Nov 2011, 15:49

It would be interesting to know how long it will last to create a first, working 3d grafik for the game. I also could wish some content before this, if it wll last longer, at least some 30+ monsters, also a higher item tier would give new stuff to collect for month.
Monk

Postby Marlon » 18. Nov 2011, 15:53

To make one thing clear: I will not continue to integrate more content until the game runs more stable and more people continue playing.
There is one more update to come and I will integrate more legendary items, but after that I need some time.
I will put a "alpha version" online, where you can test the 3D game in the beginner area (the area around tavern), and this will hopefully be in january 2012.
Maybe I am able to add this version earlier, but I have to make this step now.

@ Monk: Please hit "details" and print the error message here.

Thank you!
Marlon
Marlon
Forum Admin

Postby Monk » 18. Nov 2011, 16:47

ich glaube das ist die entscheidende zeile

#### Java Web Start Error:
#### Für die Unterstützung von nativelib oder installer-desc muss der Cache aktiviert sein.

ich schau mal ob ich da ne option finde

edit: konnte irgendwie ncihts finden, verwende mozilla firefox.
Monk

Next

Return to "General"