Linux 64-bit version?

General Discussion about the Game

Linux 64-bit version?

Postby Eratosthenes » 26. Apr 2013, 14:13

Greetings Forgotten Elements community,

the game looks very nice and i would certainly like to try it. The fact is free (and not "free", as many other games in the web) is also a big plus. However, there is an issue, which is not new, I already experienced the same in several other applications I downloaded from time to time:
I am on a Debian Linux 64-bit system. Installer works as expected, and extracts the game files in a directory. But when I try to run the game I get this error message:

libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work

The library that seems to be missing belongs to the lib64gcc1 Debian package, which is already installed. Apparently, the game works on 32 bits so it requires the corresponding 32-bit version, nameley libn32gcc1. However, to install that 32-bit version, one needs to enable "multiarch support". Essentially, that means I have to install over 200 Mb of otherwise useless 32-bit libraries (lib32gcc1 and all its dependenicies, plus several other 32-bit libraries I am sure they are needed even if I install that one, together with their dependencies as well). I will end up with a multi-architecture system, which is not really needed, as Debian Linux offers a pure 64-bit system; unlike Windows, there is no need to install 32-bit libraries for multimedia support or anything else.

Personally, I refuse to turn my system to "multiarch" just to play a game, even a good one. I am sure I am not the only one out there who can't play that very good-looking game for similar reasons. 64-bit computers are far from being something new - they are the standard for more than 10 years now. In an era you can't even find 32-bit proccessors in the market, I really don't understand why several developers don't provide 64-bit versions of their applications, forcing people to either use 32-bit operating systems, or turn their system to multi-architecture, or use emulators like Wine (which is otherwise not needed as well).

I realize the game is relatively new and developers definitely put a lot of hard work to make it happen. I also realize that releasing several versions of the game is a headache and maybe not a priority for a game that passed the beta stage only recently. So I wanted to ask if you are planning to release a 64-bit version of Forgotten Elements.
Eratosthenes

Re: Linux 64-bit version?

Postby Eratosthenes » 3. May 2013, 15:49

I am guessing my question doesn't even worth an answer. If that is the case, I refuse to turn my system to "multi architecture" and install 200 Mb of pretty useless 32-bit libraries just to run a game, or any other application developers are not aware that 64-bit proccessors are the standard ages ago..
Eratosthenes

Return to "General"