Blazingstrike again

Do you think a certain skill is too strong/weak, a monster should be more balanced or a specific items should drop more often?
Feel free to write your opinions here.

Blazingstrike again

Postby Marlon » 24. Mar 2011, 12:38

I read that there are still problems concerning Blazingstrike.
Power was increased with the latest update to buff spellcasters.
Unfortunately Blazingstrike also benefits from power as it is a mixture between melee skill and spell skill.
Would you please share your experiences with this skill and give advices how it could be balanced well?

My suggestion: Much higher cooldown
http://www.forgottenelements.com
- 100% Free Online Action RPG -
Marlon
Forum Admin

Re: Blazingstrike again

Postby SeyzTLS » 24. Mar 2011, 13:58

my personal opinion (i dont use blazingstriker):

the dmg is insane. but for me ok.
we will see in future how the max is with normal artis.
if this skill make than 1500-2000 dmg in pvp its maybe too much :lol:

so i wouldnt change something at the dmg atm.
(maximal bring back to the nivaeu 2days ago)

but all other meleeskills that can make an high-dmg-amount (luckybash, eviscrate) have an higher cd than slam, crush or swing.
so i think blazing should have it also.

(only problem is that lvling only with blazingstrike becomes harder.
so you need a skill (wildfire maybe if you are mage) slam/crush if you are ramp can help here.)
SeyzTLS

Postby Cetra » 24. Mar 2011, 17:56

I can agree completely in some of these areas. I don't mind the higher cooldown for pvp because my setup is geared towards 1 or 2 attacks. But if the cooldown becomes too much, then leveling up will become much much more difficult without putting into other skills as well. True, I did notice the dmg decrease on the blazingstrike skill itself, but because of my high power (37), my overall damage ended up increasing more. Blazingstrike is a tricky skill to use and I still do die quite often in pvp versus ranged enemies, so I only see myself as being dangerous to melee fighters with lower defenses and no shield. I understand that the damage is very high seyz but thats perfectly fine considering i actually need that damage for things like bosses. The hp of a true blazingstriker is very low and I am not able to leech, therefore it is almost essential to be able to either kill in 1 massive hit or spam repeated, lesser hits. I myself, don't see a problem with the current cost, cooldown, or damage but maybe the skill itself should receive bonuses from fire or melee buffs and not both. Currently, this is why the dmg is so high. I first receive the physical melee bonuses from things such as motivation, weaponmastery, onehandmastery, and then continue to receive further buffing from artifacts, firemastery, and fire wands AFTER the physical dmg is converted to fire. This makes for a very high damage. When I add unholy power to it, the damage becomes doubled for that 1 hit, thus making it a very potent and formidable attack if it can hit. The problem with exerting so much effort into so much damage is the lack of defenses in other areas of the character. Almost no resistances, low health, no shield, no protective skills like magic protection, evasion, etc., and that the character is melee as well as accuracy based. So with all the gear leaning towards damage, I still have to find ways to build up her accuracy to make that damage of good use. Also, in pvp, she has to run up to the enemy, giving players like WatchingRosemary plenty of time to sling a single arrow and kill her in 1 hit. Or to spam frostprojectile/icelightning... heck, even boulderlash hits before i do. I'm just saying that most players look at the damage which is essential to her survival while leveling up. I think that her balance seems fine, but if the skill is to absolutely be nerfed, then maybe look into her receiving buffs from only power/fire or only melee attacks. Currently, the items she wears is almost perfect for a blazingstriker build so it's understandable that her damage is high, since she utilizes both strength and power on items to maximize damage. Her artifacts though are another story. If she did not wield the artifacts from old days with so much power, i think the skill damage would be much more to your liking Seyz. Anyways, I hope this is able to offer a bit more information on the subject.
Cetra

Postby SeyzTLS » 24. Mar 2011, 21:02

i agree in all points cetra =)
i wanted to write also this points with no leech and the massive eq that you need. but i thought: short reply would be better xD

as i said...i think the dmg is ok. :mrgreen: of course there should be a limit. dealing 2k dmg or more with one hit in pvp its maybe too op. (i know atm you havent this amounts...we need more time too see, if the dmg is maybe a little bit too high)

only the fact that it is so fast as slam and crush isnt balanced if you see the other skills that deal a bit more dmg. like luckybash, eviscrate, stampede or other ones.
than they should be also have a lower cd, or? *sarcasm*

i think its really hard to balance this skill.
but if you say that a higher cd isnt so bad for you (in pvp) i think that would be a good middle-way.
(yesterday you said you are thinking of choosing wildfire for pve^^. i think thats a very good idea^^ you lost "only" 1 skillslot.)

i think nearly all players would say that blazingstrike make too much dmg, coz you onehit them all. (i like it so. *want to make that clear*)

i say only that there should be a limit. if you deal very huge hits with high dmg normaly (know it from other mmorpgs) the cooldown is high.
much people call such a build "spiker".

the other extrem would be a char with insanly attackspeed, drains and slowing skills. this skills deals low dmg.
but all in all the dps is more or less the same. (that must not so here, i think)

the good thing on a spiker is that your enemy have no time to heal or defend himself.
the good thing on a fast-hitter is that his lower dmg is constant there.

but if you can spam a spike-skill...you see what i mean?
SeyzTLS

Postby Cetra » 25. Mar 2011, 07:27

I see what you mean seyz and that is exactly what blazingstrike is. If i wanted to sacrifice my power/str items to tack on more attack speed, I would still do high amounts of damage, but very quickly. This skill is obviously a brutal offensive skill that is made to pulverize anything that gets in its way. In pve its great vs mobs but has much trouble for many bosses because i die of low hp before the boss can lose enough hp. This may change later when mana shield is learned, idk. Like you said, we shall see. The point i am trying to make is that while its an offensive style build and doesnt give players a chance to heal or defend, thats fine. The only players who need worry about this in pvp are melee characters with low defense or no shields. I die quite often in pvp from only frostprojectiles, fireballs, burningarrows, scattershot, guidedarrows, throwingdaggers, razorleaves, minions, and tons of other ranged skills too. I also tend to miss a lot when i encounter players who use higher defense or shields for blocking (even melee characters). My objective with this character type is to try and get 1 hit off and pray it hits. In reality, many times i do not live long enough to run to the opponent or I make a critical miss/block that often costs me my life. Maybe you see why all in all i think it is still a fair build and not trying to become a "spiker" ;)
Cetra

Return to "Balancing"